Friday, October 2, 2015
Magnesium is used by every organ in the body. It provides strength to the bones and teeth, activates enzymes, regulates blood calcium levels, aids in energy production, and is used to assimilate and utilize other vitamins and minerals throughout the body. It could be said that it comes in second only to Vitamin D in its widespread importance. Another survey says that millions could be saved in health care costs through magnesium supplementation.
Symptoms of magnesium deficiency reads like a medical dictionary. They include:
• Mitral valve prolapse
• Cardiac arrythmias
• Chronic Pain
• Chronic Fatigue
• Muscle Spasms
• Twitching & tremors
• Weak pulse
• Brain fog/confusion
• Restless Leg Syndrome
Although not all of these can be directly linked to magnesium deficiency there is strong evidence that all of these can be helped by increasing magnesium intake. If you are suffering from any of these magnesium supplementation seems be a safe and simple thing to try before going on pharmaceuticals with side effects that can permanently damage the body.
Food sources for magnesium include:
• Raw, grass-fed dairy products
• Pumpkin seeds
• Raw green veggies
• Raw cacao (Organic Raw chocolate)
• Pink salt and unrefined sea salts
• Wild-caught fish
• Sea vegetable - kelp/nori/dulse
• Sprouted nuts/seeds
• Sprouted legumes
• Summer Squash
• Black Beans
There are also many forms of magnesium supplements. They all have their benefits and drawbacks.
• Magnesium citrate, loosens the bowels
• Magnesium taurate targets the heart muscles
• Magnesium malate increases energy
• Magnesium glycinate
• Magnesium carbonate reduces indigestion
• Magnesium orotate also targets heart muscles
The worst forms of magnesium are:
• Magnesium stearate – it’s not really a form of magnesium at all,
• Magnesium oxide – is very poorly absorbed
• Magnesium sulfate – should only be used topically
• Magnesium glutamate and aspartate – these are neurotoxins
Any magnesium supplement that you take internally can cause some internal problems, but magnesium is one of those substances that can be absorbed through the skin. Epson salts is a form of magnesium that can be absorbed through a warm bath. Topical magnesium supplements have the advantage of being able to be applied quickly. They can later be washed or wiped off, or just left on.
You will not absorb more than you need.